For this assignment you will select a specific group from the following list:
- Individuals with disabilities
- College students
- Individuals from welfare to work
- Single parents
- Displaced workers
- Late-life career loss
- Individuals with minimal work experience or large gaps in employment
- Individual changing careers
Write a paper of 1,750 to 2,100 words that can be used as a resource when working with an individual from the selected group. Use scholarly resources to support your use of a specific career theory as well as interventions with this population. The paper should include the following:
- An explanation of who the population is and why it is important for this group to receive career counseling (CACREP 2.F.4.e)
- Statistics on the group (e.g., how large, how many have employment problems, how many utilize career counseling) (CACREP 2.F.4.c)
- Discussion of career counseling theory to be used with the group (e.g., Minnesota theory of work adjustment). Include evidence supporting the use of this theory in the general population as well as within the group. Please note: If none is available, it is important to indicate that as well. (CACREP 2.F.4.a)
- Basic plan for counseling utilizing chosen theory (e.g., interview, use of assessment tools, explanation of theory) (CACREP 2.F.4.a, CACREP 2.F.4.i)
- Environmental/personal barriers that may prevent the client from finding work (e.g., disability, substance use history, felony, transportation, limited computer access) and specific intervention plans to address barriers (CACREP 2.F.4.b, CACREP 2.F.4.g, CACRE 2.F.4.j)
- Relevant and local resources available to help the client obtain work (e.g., job center, training programs, support groups) and a description of activities and supplemental materials that can be used by the individual (CACREP 2.F.4.h)
- Based on the information listed above, provide some recommendations with regard to your plan to include your opinion on whether this plan is tenable and if you think if it can work. (CACREP 2.F.4.f)
- A discussion of how spirituality can be incorporated into career counseling. As examples, when counseling a Jewish client that observes the Sabbath, the counselor would want to talk to them about considering the work schedule when looking for employment or the counselor could ask questions about purpose and value as it relates to finding employment. Please refer to the Vocation and Lifelong Spiritual Formation: A Christian Integrative Perspective on Calling in Mid-Career article for your response.
- A minimum of eight scholarly references.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.