Read the following scenario and answer the questions below.
The Dried Foods Solution Company produces and sells a variety of freeze-dried products in stores throughout the Unites States and Canada. The company does not have an online sales division. Following is a list of job titles for the organization as well as the number of people in each position. Sales have been growing at about 2 percent a year, slightly above the inflation rate. As a result of the slow growth, projections reveal no new job openings except for replacements.
Dried Foods Solution Personnel
Number of Employees
Vice President – Human Resources
Area Sales Manager
District Sales Manager
Research & Development Supervisor
Vice President—Research & Development
- From this information, construct an organizational chart.
- You may use a template from any source you wish. Templates are available in Microsoft Word and a variety of online sources.
- You may use any type of organizational structure (hierarchical, flat, project management, etc.) What organizational structure did you choose and why?
- You may eliminate or change the job titles but do not reduce the number of people working for the company.
- After developing your organizational chart, define the departments and the relationships that you believe could most likely be downsized (restructured) in the event that growth slows or stops.
- Explain your proposed restructuring and your rationale for the restructuring strategy you’ve chosen.
- What would be the advantages/disadvantages if the company’s production operations were subcontracted? What if production operations were transferred to an offshore location such as China?
- Should the organization, as many firms have done; subcontract the human resources functions? Why or why not?