This video describes and discusses poverty as did Chapter 8.Although you are to use the information you learned from the book and film, you are to use your own words and ideas – plagiarism will result in a grade of a zero. Although yours will probably be much longer it can not be less than 400 words.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., spoke of two Americas in a speech at Stanford University in the 1960s. Describe the two Americas as they exist today.
- Poverty is rooted in the social structure. How does the social structure in United States perpetuate poverty? Explain how race, class, gender, access, and other characteristics might combine to perpetuate poverty? How can we solve poverty rooted in the social structure?
- Being in poverty is really a combination of individual and structural reasons. Compare the structural theory of poverty to individual explanations or personal responsibility.
- When thinking about solving poverty, we need to “think big and act small.” Government interventions can only go so far. What are micro-interventions, and how can they help fight against poverty?
- Questions answers must be a minimum of 400 words. Citations, titles, copying questions, references, and other identifying information does not count toward word count.
- You are required to use proper grammar and spelling. When using other sources, citations using APA style are required.
- Direct quotes are not permitted in discussion posting, therefore you must paraphrase and cite. (But this really shouldn’t be done at all for this assignments.)