Personal Reading Process
[WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 1, 3]
This week, you will reflect on what you read, how you read, and why you read, and then share your personal reading process.
This assignment has two goals. The first is to give you practice reflecting on your experience with reading and examining how those experiences have impacted the way you read today. The second is to give your instructor insight into who you are as a student and a reader so your instructor can better assist you throughout the course.
There are two parts to this assignment. In the first part, you will share your reading experience. Think about how you learned to read, what you like to read, whether you make time to read, and if you enjoy reading. In the second part, you will read two articles and respond to the information presented in those articles. Your essay should be 500 to 750 words in length.
Part 1: Personal Reading Experience
Answer the following questions. Remember the point is not to be right or wrong, but to look at your current reading habits so you can figure out what’s working, what isn’t, and what you can do to improve your habits and strategies. Each bullet point should be addressed in its own paragraph:
- Describe your experience learning to read.
- Do you remember when you first learned to read? What was that experience like? As you’ve gotten older, has reading been easy or difficult for you?
- Develop examples of how you prepare to read.
- Do you take any special steps or do you dive in? Does it depend on what or why you are reading?
- Discuss your college-level reading experience thus far.
- Do you embrace it or avoid it? Do you skim or skip sections? Do you skip reading altogether?
Part 2: Reading on Screens
Prior to beginning work on this section, review the following articles:
Consider the information in the two articles, and address the following, addressing each bullet point in its own paragraph:
- Describe your reaction to the articles.
- What do you agree with and why? What do you disagree with and why?
- Compare your experience with ereaders or reading online to the information shared in the articles.
- How have your experiences been similar or different?
- Explain the impact you think the information in these articles will have on your reading in college.
For this assignment, your essay should be double-spaced and written using Times New Roman 12-point font.
Carefully review your essay before you submit and consider these questions:
- Did you write at least six paragraphs? Each bullet point should be covered by one paragraph of writing.
- Did you answer the questions in every bullet, as specified in the assignment instructions?
- Was each paragraph organized to effectively cover what was asked for in the instructions?
- Did you double-check spelling, grammar, punctuation, and organization? Grammarly (Links to an external site.) is a great tool to help with this!