Google Slides or PowerPoint presentation on one micronutrient of choice and an associated dysfunction or disorder that arises from its deficiency or excess.
The learning objectives of this chapter focus on the functions and general pathways of micronutrients: water, vitamins, minerals, trace minerals, and electrolytes. The chapter touches upon diseases stemming from deficiencies or excess of micronutrients. This assignment requires students to select one micronutrient of choice and give a short presentation on a disorder that comes from its deficiency or excess.
Students should be able to answer the following five questions:
- Physiologic Condition: what does the body look like when it’s receiving the normal amount of this micronutrient?
- Pathophysiologic Condition: what presentations, manifestations, and symptoms does a deficiency or excess of this micronutrient result in?
- Disease Pathway: how does this disease arise in the body, e.g. which organ or organ system does it affect?
- Considerations: what are some social, cultural, and economic considerations that involve this deficiency or excess?
- Treatments: how is this disease treated? If there is no cure, what other options for patients?
Students should also provide an organized list of APA-formatted citations and sources.