For this paper, please focus on a small (roughly 6-10 verse) section of Genesis 38- and work it through in as much detail as you can. You should, at a minimum:
Use ALL TEN READING TOOLS, including:
- *Compare translations. What words are so different across translations that it is essential to know the original Hebrew and/or Greek word?
- Cultural context.What elements in the story (e.g., scene, characterization, what people say or do) seem unclear to you, where knowing cultural context would shed light? Be aware of two different, but often overlapping cultural contexts: a)that within the story world(sometime in the early 2nd millennium BCE) and that of the author(s)’ time (during the Babylonian Exile).
- Structure of the section. Does the passage have a particular internal structure that helps to reveal its meaning (e.g., chiasm, inclusion, other forms of repetition)?
- Intratextual echoing and foreshadowing: Does this passage either recall or anticipate other passages a)in how it is structured (e.g., the three “wife-sister” stories); b) what is assumes or anticipates as knowledge about characters, including God, places or situations; c)that reveal how plot conveys meaning?settling too soon
- *Details within the passage. What do you notice about how 1) the characters are portrayed; 2) characters engage with each other, including with God; 3) setting (including place, time of day, season of year) shapes the story; surprise, twists or other plot elementsgenerate a response in either the characters or you as a reader?
- Anything else. What else do you notice and have questions about that might not fall into one of the categories above?settling too soon
- Effect on your own presuppositions. How does the unfolding meaning challenge you to reconsider your own presuppositions about God, God’s purposes and/or the meaning of human life? What about who you are as a reader (i.e., the elements within the “circle” of you as a reader) are you challenged to rethink?
- *Insights from the general readings. What do the interpreters whose writing is assigned for this passage have to say that shapes your understanding? settling too soon
- *Insights from your chosen, additional reading. This one I have attached a couple of articles you can choose from as an additional reading. But please use two articles only. Articles attached ( Judah and Tamar, gen 38 its contribution, social and historical prospective).
- *Narrative context..Where does this particular piece of narrative fit within a)the immediate section of Genesis (i.e., Primeval History, Abraham/Sarah cycle, Jacob cycle, Joseph story) and b)within the larger context of Genesis?
- NOTE: Please mark each paragraph or section of your paper with the name of the tool you are using in that paragraph.
- For the narrative context please do Not summarize the passage instead situating it in the previous narrative)Extra important Details:-Engage the Hebrew text by showing the nuances of meaning, wordplay or translation issues.-Pay close attention to the structure (e.g., chiasm or other shaping device)-Note literary features (e.g., movement of plot, characterization, scene setup or change, suspense, humor)Let me know if you have any questions!
-It’s very important to look at the profs feedback from the last paper you wrote before you start writing and then write another paper with the same tools avoiding the mistakes occurred in the first paper.
Then finally make a powerpoint slides about the paper ready to be presented. using the 10 tools which means no less than 10 slides