***Only need one of these assignments***
Assignment Choice #1
In this module, you were introduced to the income statement and profitability ratios. In this assignment, you will use this information to create an income statement and then analyze it for profitability. Selected accounts for Jackson, Inc. are listed below along with their balances before closing the year of 12/31/12. Jackson, Inc. is a firm that manufactures wireless mouse systems for laptops. Use this information to complete the required elements below.
Cost of goods sold
Gain on sale of equipment
Loss from fire
Retained Earnings (1/1/12 balance)
1Dividends were declared and paid to Jackson, Inc. stockholders
- On a spreadsheet, prepare a multistep income statement for the year ending 12/31/12 with proper heading. See link below for sample income statement. Near the bottom of your income statement should be a subtotal for income before taxes and then you should subtract taxes to compute net income. Net income should have a double underline.
- On the same spreadsheet, prepare a statement of retained earnings for the year ending 12/31/12 with proper heading. See link below for sample statement of retained earnings. There are no adjustments to retained earnings and ending retained earnings should have a double underline.
- On the same spreadsheet, compute the gross profit margin, operating income margin, and net profit margin for 2012, showing the numerator and denominator for all ratios. Take ratios out to the nearest hundredth of a percentage (e.g., 33.33%).
- On the same spreadsheet, write a paragraph analyzing each of the profitability ratios for Jackson, Inc. given the following information from previous years and competitors.
Gross profit margin
Operating income margin
Net profit margin
The following links provide sample formatting for income statements and statements of retained earnings.
Submit your spreadsheet in the Module 3 folder. Ensure your work is accurate and reflects CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements, following APA style, and properly referenced.
Assignment Choice #2
After reading case 4-5 “Celtics” in the textbook, write an essay that includes the following elements:
- A formal introduction.
- Answers to questions (a) through (e) of the case, focusing on the company’s changes in gross profit for year to-year and their significance.
- A conclusion.
Your submitted paper should be at least 2-3 pages long and written according to CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements, following APA style, and properly referenced.
Note that the textbook author is citing a source in this case, which must be considered when forming your references and citations.