Career Portfolio Guidelines
There are two (2) components to this assessment:
Part A – Written report (1500 words) Part B – Video (3-minute presentation).
This assessment is designed to be used by you as an ongoing working portfolio to assist you in identifying your career goals and appropriate organisations you wish to pursue for internship or employment positions. Writing in first person (‘me’, ‘I’, ‘mine; etc.) is permitted however, you should remember that this is a university assessment and not a descriptive story. A minimum of five (5) well integrated academic references are required.
Part A – Written Report
The following may assist you to structure your work:
An Executive Summary of a report is just that, a summary. It contains a statement of report purpose and an overview of the actual and specific findings. Generally, it should be no longer than one page and does not count towards the word limit of your report. The Executive Summary can only be written after you have completed your report. Write in past tense (e.g. The purpose of this report was to … ). If an Executive Summary is well written the reader should be able to understand the main points, findings, and conclusions of the actual report without having to read the full report. Be sure to check the relevant Academic Skills Quick Guide (https://www.scu.edu.au/staff/teaching-and-learning/academic-skills/quick-guides/) for help with writing your summary.
Contents 1.0 Introduction
Ensure that you write an introduction for this assignment. The Academic Skills Quick Guides (https://www.scu.edu.au/staff/teaching-and-learning/academic-skills/quick-guides/) will provide you with a reminder on what should be contained in an introduction.
2.0 My Career
• Describe how you visualise your perfect graduate position and broader career in 1–2 paragraphs. Then critically evaluate how your descriptions compare and contrast with the literature covered in this unit relating to definitions of careers, career management and career success (Topic 1). Do not use dictionary or Wikipedia definitions in this discussion. Instead, you should be evaluating the descriptions contained in academic writings such as your Readings.
• Name the industry sector that you wish to pursue for your internship and/or graduate role and refer to Appendix A which will contain your database of potential employers.
3.0 Goal Setting
• Setting goals (both short and long term) is important in career planning. Challenging, but realistic, goals can have powerful positive influence on career success. Identify a goalsetting theory (model) or motivation theory and discuss how it may be useful to assist you in achieving your career goals.
• In this section summarise the four (4) most important learning/career goals that you wish to achieve within the next 10 years. Refer to Appendix B which will contain detailed information about these four (4) goals.
Again, consult the Academic Skills Quick Guides (https://www.scu.edu.au/staff/teaching-andlearning/academic-skills/quick-guides/) for details on how to write a great conclusion.
Start this section on a new page and use Harvard referencing.
Appendices (A & B)
Insert a section break (start on a new page).
• Appendix A – Database of Potential Employers
Here you will list each of your five preferred employers. Use appropriate headings numbered 1–5 ensuring each organisation is listed in order of preference (i.e. your most preferred organisation is number 1, your second choice employer is number 2 etc.). You may include your field trip organisation as one of the potential employers.
Use the following headings for each organisation to ensure all relevant information is provided and then include a short review, in 1–2 paragraphs, of the career prospects available within each of your selected organisations:
• Company name
• Contact person
• Position title (of contact person you would address an application to)
• Postal address
• Phone number
• Organisation website – [Copy the link to the page you are referring to here]
• Other links – [If there is a specific employment and or internship link copy this link here]
• Overview of [Insert organisation name here]:
Now write one to two paragraphs around what each organisation is renowned for and the types of career opportunities available in this organisation. Use your own words.
Appendix B – Learning/Career Goals
Detail your four (4) most important learning/career goals that you wish to achieve within the next 10 years using the template from the MySCU site – Assessment Tasks and Submission link.
NB: The word count of appendices is not included in your overall assessment word count. Go crazy!
The post Career Portfolio Guidelines.