Before embarking on any professional or academic activity, it is important to understand the background, knowledge, and experience you bring to it. You might ask yourself, “What do I already know? What do I need to know? And what do I want to know?” This critical self-reflection is especially important for developing clinical skills, such as those for advanced practice nursing.
The PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills List and PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form, provided in the Learning Resources, can be used to celebrate your progress throughout your practicum and identify skills gaps. The list covers all necessary skills you should demonstrate during your practicum experience.
For this Assignment, you assess where you are now in your clinical skill development and make plans for this practicum. Specifically, you will identify strengths and opportunities for improvement regarding the required practicum skills. In this practicum experience, when developing your goals and objectives, be sure to keep assessment and diagnostic reasoning in mind.
- Review the clinical skills in the PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills List document. It is recommended that you print out this document to serve as a guide throughout your practicum.
- Review the “Developing SMART Goals” resource on how to develop goals and objectives that follow the SMART framework.
- Download the PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form to complete this Assignment.
Use the PRAC 6635 Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form to complete the following:
- Rate yourself according to your confidence level performing the procedures identified on the Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form.
- Based on your ratings, summarize your strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Based on your self-assessment and theory of nursing practice, develop three to four (3–4) measurable goals and objectives for this practicum experience. Include them on the designated area of the form.
By Day 7
Submit your completed Clinical Skills Self-Assessment Form.