Please discuss one or more of these questions for each topic. They are based on reading the articles in the module lecture. Make sure your first post is at least two full paragraphs.
- What are some ethical issues around modern geographic tools like GPS?
- Have you ever had a misunderstanding because of a clash of cultures? Have you ever suffered from culture shock? Please discuss any experience you had with the joys/pains of cross cultural interaction, how you dealt with it, and how you think you should have handled it.
- Please discuss the following quote: “Not only is it easy to lie with maps, it is essential”
- Paul Ehrlich and Julian Simon had a bet. What was the bet? What was the result? What do you think this result means? Does it prove either side’s point? What do you think of the bet?
- What was China’s “One Child Policy”? What was covered under the policy? What were some advantages and problems of this policy in China? How would you describe the legacy of the “One Child Policy”?
- India has a legacy of using sterilization as a population control measure. Please discuss this issue, and say what you think about this method of population control.
- Are large populations a problem? Can small populations be a problem? Why or why not? (please note: this question doesn’t really have a right or wrong answer, but is here to encourage discussion.)
For Full Credit
- Post once, discussing at least one of the questions above. This post should be several paragraphs long.
In this discussion, we will be exploring geographic tools and population issues in the news. For Geographic tools, this includes: maps, GIS, GPS and Remote Sensing (if you don’t know what these are yet, read the lecture, then ask me if you are still confused). For population issues, this includes: overpopulation, under population, reproductive issues, health and demographic issues, etc.
Each of you will need to find a recent article (2017 or sooner) in the news connected to the topic of the unit. For this discussion, you will need to do the following:
- Write one paragraph summarizing the article
- Write one paragraph responding to the article with your own reaction/opinion/insight. This reaction should be about the topic of the article, and not the writing of the article in most instances.
- Include a full citation in MLA or another format, not just the link to the website